Thursday, November 1, 2007

Top US Liberals and Top US Conservatives

Despite my disgust with the British even viewing American politics in a "left v. right" type of way, I have found their list of most influential liberals and conservatives very interesting to look at. I suppose I could deconstruct this entire list, but hell, I don't have that kind of time (there are 100 of them). Instead, I will comment on the top choices on each list. For the liberals, I suppose there is no major surprise in picking Bill Clinton. I would say though that Clinton, most know, was not that liberal of a president when it came to policy. But still, it fits.

I find Rudy Giuliani as the most influential conservative a bit more of a surprise. I know he is "Mr. 9/11, kick-ass and take names, Jack Bauer, etc." guy. But he is also, of course, the "pro-choice, pro-gay, rights, three times married, etc." guy. Despite his popularity in nation-wide polls, Christian Conservatives are threatening to support a third-party candidate if the Republicans nominate him. I think Newt Gingrich, Rush Limbaugh, George Will, William Buckley, William Kristol, and a whole host of other individuals would all make better choices in terms of conservative influence.

Oh, Giuliani is also a cross dresser. We can't forget that. Naughty, naughty!