Thursday, October 23, 2008

Joplin, MO says no to tattoos for teachers


I understand why teachers should be held to a higher moral standard than in other professions, but personally, this is going too far. Here is the rational for the ban explained by Joplin school board member Jeff Flowers:

“There’s a stigma associated with (tattoos), and it’s not a good stigma”.

Stigma? Numerous people in our society have tattoos. Are those individuals with tattoos supposed to be morally corrupt? I could understand asking teachers to cover up tattoos that are obscene. And certainly, there are different body parts that should be covered up, regardless of whether or not there is a tattoo. But all tattoos? What if a retired military veteran decides to become a teacher, and they have a tattoo indicating their service on their arm? What is the stigma there?

Perhaps I am making too much of this, but this is an example of my love-hate relationship with my home state (and I really do have one). I love being a Missourian, but I hate how sometimes, it can be a pretty backwards place to live.

No comments: